How to Get Gasoline Smell Off Hands

While fueling up a car or performing yard work, gasoline spills have been known to be a common occurrence. When these slip-ups do occur, our hands are usually the first thing that gasoline comes into contact. After a spill, the sharp chemical odor can burrow deep within our palms and fingers and present a challenge to effectively treat.


Though deodorizing gasoline from one’s hands is never an easy task, this can be accomplished by using a handful of helpful household remedies. By following the below tips and tricks, you can successfully get the gasoline smell off your hands and have them smelling fresh again.




Gasoline Smell Removal Solutions for Hands

1 White Vinegar Splash

Splashing hands with white vinegar can be a great solution for getting rid of gasoline smell within hands. The chemical properties in vinegar will work to break apart the gasoline bonds that hold the gasoline residues together. For best results, rub the vinegar between palms and fingers for a minimum of 30-45 seconds before washing hands off under the faucet.


2 Lemon Juice Rub

The citric acid within lemon juice can have a powerful effect in elimination the entrenched gasoline odors within your palms. Mix a solution of lemon juice and water in equal parts inside a cup and proceed to rub the moisture through your palms and finger for a minimum of one minute. During this time, the lemon juice will work to cut through the troublesome gasoline aroma and replace it with the gentle scent of freshly cut lemons.


3 Dish Detergent & Salt

The use of detergent yields a similar result on gasoline residues as it does in breaking apart the chemical bonds in grease. As a preliminary step, pour 1-2 teaspoons of salt within a cup next to the kitchen sink. Wet hands and later palms and fingers dish detergent and then pour the salt within hands. Continue to rub the materials between palms for another minute before rinse hands clean and enjoying freshened hands.


4 Hand Sanitizer or Rubbing Alcohol

The use of hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol can work well in neutralizing difficult gasoline odors within one’s palms. The high percentage of alcohol in both these solutions will provide similar results. Pour small portion of either of these options within your palms and proceed to rub it within hands. For best results, be sure to continue to rub this solution in until all of the alcohol solution has evaporated away.


5 Baking Soda Paste

The use of the household deodorizing powder can provide fantastic odor absorption for benefits within hands. Begin by creating a paste of one part baking soda with three parts water inside a cup. Pour this solution within palms and rub the solution through your fingers and palms for an entire minute. Finally, if any odor remains after your first application, you can try this for a second or third time until all of the odor has been eliminated.


6 Dunk Hands in Hydrogen Peroxide

This cleaning and disinfectant solution is safe to use on your hands and can be used of a variety of odors within the home. Mix a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide wot three parts water within a large bowl. Proceed to submerge hands within hydrogen peroxide for 1-3 minutes until the gasoline odors have been wiped away. If any odors remain after this period of time, try dipping your hands for an additional period of time until the gasoline odors have been removed from your hands.


7 Mechanics Soap

If you regularly work with gasoline, and regularly find your palms soaked in the chemical compound, you may wish to invest in specialty mechanics soap. This product solution can work wonders in eliminating challenging gasoline odors from hands and return them to freshness. For best results, keep mechanic’s soap close to your gasoline work site and deodorize as soon as possible.


Published by

Joe Fresh

Joe is an odor combatant, chemistry extraordinaire and all around good guy. He has an over-productive olfactory system with absolutely zero tolerance for unpleasant aromas.

One thought on “How to Get Gasoline Smell Off Hands”

  1. Used white vinegar (#1) to remove gasoline from hands w/ 90% success. No lemons so, on to step #3. Dish soap + 1-2 tsp. table salt removed remaining 10%. Hands not only smell fresh, but salt scrub removed dead, dry skin. Hands feel softer and smooth. Thank You! I love this website!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *